Esfuérzate y se valiente

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Vacations

Well I am enjoying the last few days of my vacations. I was not able to go to the beach after all since the car we were going to take had to have some repairs. It is still drivable but since it is like an 8 hour drive, and we would be going through a lot of countryside (and I really mean countryside) we decided to stay, so it will have to be a next time. I have been able to enjoy time with my nieces and nephew which has been really nice. Right now schools here in Panama are in vacation, so it has been perfect to spend more time with them. It is amazing how you change and mature as you grow older. I remember when my nephew was born I was 12, and remembering back, I am a lot more patient with kids now than what I was back then. Now I have my 1 and 1/2 year old niece and I am much more patient and enjoy so much my time with her. Maturity...something you get as you get older and wiser. Children really are such a delight, they come up with the most outrageous ideas and they totally trust you as an adult. Innocence...something you would like them not to loose, but know they will. God is so wise. He says that we have to be like children. They believe what you tell them, they trust that you'll provide them with what they need, they are not worrying that they lack something they take for granted that you'll give to them whatever they need, they trust...attitudes that we should always have towards God.

Today I saw a movie called Gods and Generals about the American Civil War. I proved once more to myself how much I enjoy watching movies that are based on real life events. This movie gave a little sense of what it must have been like for those people who fought during this war. Brother against brother, father against son, very difficult. But slavery had to end one way or another. History is hard and we should never forget it, we should learn from past mistakes, but it seems that sometimes we don't and keep making the same mistakes. This is the first movie in a trilogy, so I can't wait to see the other two. The second movie is about the battle in Gettysburg, I don't know much about it but I believe it has been one of the worst battles. In the movie they center a lot around one General in the Confederate Army, General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. What got my attention the most is that he was very outspoken about his faith and was always mentioning God and quoting the word of God. I am going to do a little more research on him, to learn a little more about him. Well I do like watching movies based on true events.

I was thinking about a conversation I was having with some coworkers just before my vacations. We were talking about something and this very young guy (Julio, 18) started saying that his cousin was together with a boyfriend who let her pay for everything. There were 4 of us in the conversation (2 guys and 2 girls). For those who know me personally, you know that I kind of talk with my expressions. It seems that I can't keep out of my face what is going through my mind. So I kind of can imagine the face that I made. I was like "he does not pay for anything at all? What does he do when they go out?"...my friend said "my cousin always pays"...of course me and Ana, the other girl in the conversation, immediately put these faces. It's ok to share, but for the girl to always pay? No way! So I asked him...how old are they? he said "18"...so I was like "aahhh". That's why. They are very young, but that depends on the person. I know that even when I was 18 I would never allow that, pay for everything always, while he does not pay for anything at all? No way! Well but that wasn't what really got my attention, that was just like idle conversation. So the other guy (Gary) in the group suddenly asked me what do I do in the weekends, I told him that sometimes go to eat out, the movies, rent a video, do errands, and on Sundays I go to church. Then Julio asked me if I always go to church and if I went to the same church my cousin went to (of the 3 he was the only one that didn't know I am a Christian). So I told him no. He asked me then to what church I went to. I told him that I am a Christian and then the name of my church. He was like are you evangelical? and then I said yes. Then Gary asked me if I would marry someone catholic and I said no. I stunned them into silence, their eyes widened and I was a little amused by their reaction. They asked me why? And I told them that I could never marry someone who did not share my belief in Jesus, not a religion but a relationship with Him. That would surely become a strain on the marriage. They all looked at me like I was a little crazy and Ana told me if you fall in love with a catholic you will not be able to do what you are saying. Then we all received calls and the conversation stopped. I totally disagree of course with what she told me. The first thing for me to consider someone is that he has a personal relationship with Jesus. When I do marry someone and I say "I do", I will be saying "I do" to a lot of things, so I consider this extremely serious to take it lightly. The thing is that today people take this matter very lightly, and if anything goes wrong they could always get a divorce. No commitment. Only one who shares what I believe, and fears God the way I do, can give the kind of commitment I will give and I will expect once I make the decision. Once again I can find in the Bible something about their reactions...1 Corinthians 1:18.

I still have to finish the message that I started before, I'll do that soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home