Esfuérzate y se valiente

Monday, December 06, 2004

Experiences as an interpreter

Well I said that I was going to write about some of the experiences as an over-the-phone interpreter. These are only a few (very few) of them. The ones I was able to remember today, with the help of some friends at work, between calls. We hear so many stupid things that we just have to roll our eyes during calls and keep our best customer service voice at all times.

I would like to give a little explanation so that it can be better understood. There are three people in our calls on conference, the client (english speaking person), the LEP (it's an acronym for Limited English Speaker, in other words in my case the spanish speaking person) and me! (the interpreter).

Most of the questions or remarks that do not make any sense to us are made by the LEP, but today I will write a few examples of the ones done by our clients (english speakers). I hope you let your imagination roll and can picture these scenarios in your mind.



Scenario # 1

After the client introduces herself/himself

Client: Thank you interpreter, I have Miss Perez on the other line, she doesn't speak any english at all, because I already tried and she didn't understand me (laughing). May I conference her in?
Interpreter: Of course!
Client: Thank you Miss Perez, I do have an interpreter on the line who will assists us further, ok?
LEP: (in a very low, very shy, very unsure voice) speake spanish?
Interpreter: (thinking it but not voicing it - HELLO?!, didn't you just tell me she doesn't speak nor understand any english at all? how are you going to ask her if it is ok? and tell her that you have an interpreter on the line, she is not going to understand!)...................proceeds in spanish...I'm going to be your interpreter, how can we help you today Miss Perez?



Scenario # 2
LEP is calling to find out about a letter that he received but that he doesn't understand because it's in english. After 5 minutes of interpreting, the call is getting to a close and the CLIENT is going to send some other papers for the LEP to fill out, LEP has to follow the instructions that are on the papers.
Client: Interpreter, ask him if he would like the papers in spanish?
Interpreter: (thinking it but not voicing it - haven't I been interpreting for 5 minutes because this person doesn't understand english?)
What do you think the LEP's answer was to that question?



Scenario # 3
Client: Interpreter, ask her how we can help her today?
Interpreter: in spanish - how can we help you today ma'am?
LEP: I would like to check my balance and transfer some funds from one account to the other.
Interpreter: interprets it into english
Client: certainly, tell her that I'd be happy to assist her, but first I will need to verify some information for security purposes.
Interpreter: interprets into spanish.
LEP: of course.
Client: What are the last 4 digits of her s.s. #, mother's maiden name, and date of birth?
Interpreter: into spanish.
LEP: 5648, Rivera, 07/18/74.
Interpreter: into english.
Client: Thank you very much for verifying that information and how can we help her today?
Interpreter: (thinking it but not voicing it - didn't I just interpret that at the beginning?)


a little note here: as interpreters, we can't voice our opinions or make suggestions, we are just there to interpret. In a case like this, even though we know because we asked before that the lady wants to transfer funds and check her balance, we have to ask her again whatever the client tells us.



Scenario # 4
Client and LEP are in the same room, they are both hearing the interpreter over a speakerphone. At the end of the call, client is writing down some numbers for the LEP.
Client: Interpreter, do you think he will understand if I am writing these numbers in english?
Interpreter: (thinking......numbers in english??? what does that mean? numbers are numbers!!!) I'm sure he'll understand, ma'am.



Scenario # 5
The client is a bank representative advising the LEP about some features that come with her checking account.
Client: Please tell her that she has a service called Direct Deposit and another one that is online banking. Does she have access to the internet?
Interpreter: into spanish.
LEP: Noooo I don't have internet, I don't even know how to use a computer!
Interpreter: into english.
Client: ok, if not she can certainly use our telephone automated system to check her balances, order checks, transfer between accounts.
Interpreter: into spanish.
LEP: ok.
Client: does she have an e-mail that we can send her information about her account and future promotions?
Interpreter: (thinking....didn't she just say that she doesn't even know how to use a computer, doesn't have internet, much less have an e-mail account???????).
Well, what do you think the answer was for this one?


I hope you enjoyed a little of what I have to handle everyday.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home