Esfuérzate y se valiente

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Something new

This is something totally new for me but I think I will enjoy it. I hope I can sometimes encourage, sometimes get you thinking, always have some kind of reaction. Maybe I'll never even know the people who are reading this, that just happenend to stumble across this blog, but if I in some way can help and encourage you with what I write, it would be worth it.

Today I had a very tiring day. I worked the same amount of hours I always work, but on a different shift, and I felt exhausted. Tomorrow is going to be a very difficult day at work. Since everybody is coming back from Thanksgiving, the calls are going to be pouring in. I work as an over-the-phone interpreter (english to spanish and viceversa). It's amazing the things you hear on these calls, and some times the emotional level that you get involved with people you don't even know. Of course you do not let that show on a call, you are just the bridge between the two persons that do not understand each other, and they will never know, how much you are affected sometimes. I will probably be writing a lot about my experiences as an interpreter. Some can be very funny, others can be heartbreaking. For example today I had a 911 call in which a TV had fell on top of a baby, the mother was hysterical (understandable), the child was unconscious, but breathing, bleeding all over, mouth, ears...when I get these types of calls, my heart just starts to beat faster and harder, I become more alert, and try to keep my nerves under control, so that my voice can be as steady and calm as possible, in order to be able to transmit that to the caller. When EMS gets there I get disconnected from the call, and I am left wondering...did the child survive, did he died? All I get to do is pray a little before I receive my next call.
I DO HOPE HE DID SURVIVE, and that I, in some little, tiny way was able to help.


1 Comments:

  • Hola Ivan! Si, es cierto. We have so many different situations on these calls. It's amazing. Let me know if you get your own blog. Hablamos!!

    By Blogger Mary Gaby, at 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home