Esfuérzate y se valiente

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

The Other Woman

I was so tired that I slept a lot this afternoon, now I can't sleep and I have to work tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. Currently at work I am receiving a medical training to become a more specialized kind of interpreter. I will write about it later, as I thought it was very interesting the differences that you can encounter when dealing with different cultures.

I read this and thought it was very moving. How important it is to say what we feel to the people we love and care about. I apologize in advance if there are any mistakes as I translated this from spanish.


The other woman.

My wife recommended me to go out with another woman.
A while ago I started going out with another woman, actually it had been my wife's idea.
"You know you love her" - she told me one day, taking me by surprise. "Life is too short, spend time with her".
"But I love you" - I protested.
"I know, but you also love her".

The other woman my wife wanted me to visit, was my mother. She had become a widow a few years ago and my work and kids had prevented me from visiting her, only occasionally.

That night I called her to invite her to dinner and to go to the movies. "What is going on? Are you ok?" she asked me. My mother is the type of woman that a late call at night or an unexpected invitation, signals that there is something wrong or some type of bad news.

"I thought it would be nice to spend some time with you" - I answered. "Just the two of us...What do you think?". She thought about it for a minute and said "I would like that a lot".

That Friday while I was driving from work to pick her up, I found myself kind of nervous, the way you feel before a date. Goodness!! When I arrived I saw that she was very moved. She was expecting me at her front door, with her old coat on. She had curled her hair and was wearing the dress she wore on the celebration of her last wedding anniversary, she had a smile on her face and was glowing like an angel.

"I told my friends that I was going out with my son and they were really excited" - she told me while she was getting in the car - "I'm sure they can't wait until tomorrow to hear about it".

We went to a restaurant that was not very fancy, but very cozy. My mother was holding my arm, like if she was the first lady of the nation. When we sat down I had to read her the menu, her eyes could only see big letters. When I was halfway down the menu, I lifted my eyes and my mom was just sitting there, on the other side of the table, watching me. She had a nostalgic smile on her face. "I was the one that read the menu to you when you were small, do you remember?"

"It's time for you to relax and allow me to return the favor" - I answered.

During dinner we had a nice conversation, nothing extraordinary, just getting up to date with each others lives. We talked so much that we missed going to the movies.

"I will go out with you again, only if you let me invite you" - My mom told me when I was dropping her off at home. I hugged her and kissed her.

"How was the date?" - my wife wanted to know.

"Very nice, thanks. A lot more than I expected" - I answered.

Days later my mother died of a massive heart attack, everything happened so quickly, I couldn't do anything.

A while later I received an envelope from the restaurant we had dinner at and a note that said: "I paid dinner in advance, I was almost certain I was not going to be able to make it and be there, but I still paid for two, for you and your wife. You'll never understand what that night meant to me. I LOVE YOU!"

At that moment I understood the importance of saying "I love you" on time and to give our loved ones the space they deserve. Nothing in life is more important than God and your family, give them the time they deserve.

If your mother lives.........enjoy her
If not..................remember her

You can't make time go back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home