Esfuérzate y se valiente

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Crazy holiday season

I don't know if it is like this in other parts of the world, but here when the holidays come everything and everyone kind of go crazy. Awful long lines everywhere (I hate them), horrible traffic - and when I say horrible traffic, I mean it. I think Panama is one of the worst places to drive. People don't respect the traffic signs and everybody does what they want. Buses and taxis are the worst. My aunt from Miami says that if you can drive in Panama, you can drive anywhere. I am usually a very calm person, but in traffic here I can really loose my temper...even a dead person would rise and die all over again. And in December it just gets worst, if a thing like that is actually possible (and believe me, it is).

It's amazing to see people who have saved for the entire year, spending it all in just a few days. Spending, some of them, in things they don't even need. People say they don't have money, but they are buying until they have nothing less to spend. I think this mentality is very narrow and it's funny to see how a few years ago for example, you could be without a mobile tel., but today if you don't have one...God forbid. Don't get me wrong, if you have enough money to spend, I have nothing against that, please do. But if there are more important things, and if what you are buying is not really necessary, why not saving it for something really important or investing it. Is that the meaning of the holiday at all? I don't think so. Of course for me celebrating Jesus, relatives and friends is a year round thing. There are people who called themselves Christians, but just remember God once a year, at X-mas. And they go to a mass or services on these days, and they feel like if they are giving God so much. Like if we could do anything for Him...what a joke. God knows us, we can't trick Him (1 Samuel 16:7).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home